Google Code-In mentorship experience :)


Image result for google codein
Introduction:
Hello, this is Sundaram Dubey 3rd B.Tech. HBTU student. In this blog spot, I am going to discuss my Code-In journey as a Mentor. Maybe it's not a journey :)
Basic Information:
So one who doesn't know what is Code-in, for them: Code-in is a nearly 7 weeks long program for preUniversity students to get involved in the open-source community and get to know about real-world application development. This program is not just about coding, this is about community bonding. This year(2019-20) GCI held on 2 December 2019 - 21 January. So one week is still remaining and students are working on their final evaluation and tasks. Every organization has some tasks that are previously created and students have to complete them. 
Motivation:
So I am going off-topic perhaps. I am writing this blog about my GCI experience but it's overwhelming me where to start!
So I heard of GCI  from a senior of our college and he was also a mentor of GCI for Zulip in 2017,18.
I talked to him and he was like, everything will happen as you want just don't give up.


Image result for fossasiaImage result for plusImage result for tensorflow



How did I get this opportunity?
 I came back with his suggestions and started to see on the GCI site which organizations are taking part in this year's GCI. I choose 4 organizations to apply. In two of them I was contributing (Fossasia and Aossie) and the other two were new for me.  I applied and then got involved in there project and communication channels mostly with Fossasia. And when that organization announces its mentors I was only selected for TensorFlow, not for Fossasia. I was very much shocked. Then 2 weeks later, I got the email that I have been selected as a mentor for Fossasia-GCI. So this year I am mentoring two organizations in GCI. 

                                (third from left with that killer Profile-pic 😉😉 )

What I did during the program?
Mentoring is not just about telling students what to do or how. it's about learning too. Students from many countries were around me asking their doubts, I am always comfortable in solving doubts :) but this time I was nervous because the doubts can be from any field and maybe I never heard of them.
`The power comes with the responsibility`. I had to review the tasks and had to approve or reject them with proper explanation. So I was learning every day too. I interacted with around 60 tasks of TensorFlow and Fossasia.  I came to know during this Mentorship that every student has their uniqueness, I got to learn something from everyone. 
So nearly one week is remaining at the end of the program and I am like: this should not end. When you talk to pre-university students, they are very curious to know everything and that makes them ask more questions and answer their questions is my responsibility. For example: "during the program when I said to a student to squash his commits and resolve conflicts (on gitlab)  to get a merge. Then he told me that he is facing an issue. That issue was quite new for me and  1 hour to get solved." So Basically by this example, I want to say that you get to know things better when people of different communities are around you, talking to you about their issue.
 The best thing for learning is discussing with the peoples your issues(like bugs, enhancements, feature, etc), the ones who you think are best around you. Never hesitate in talking to them or discussing a doubt. Community is the most important thing I came to know during this mentorship. 
During the program sometimes I feel worst that I am not good enough but keep one thing in mind no one is good enough.
And now this amazing journey is about to end.
For one who wants to get started with this, or others just start looking carefully. Because 
"
Nothing is better than looking if you want to find something, it could be that you won't get the thing you were after but you will find something that meant to you.Cause sometimes the brightest light comes from the darkest places.

Thank you, Google, Open source,  Code-In, TensorFlow,  Fossasia for making more useful and meaningful than ever before.


Comments

Himanshu Singh said…
Awesome Experience !
Unknown said…
Easy "water hack" burns 2 lbs OVERNIGHT

Over 160000 women and men are losing weight with a simple and secret "water hack" to drop 2lbs every night as they sleep.

It's effective and works on everybody.

You can do it yourself by following these easy steps:

1) Go get a clear glass and fill it up with water half full

2) And now learn this strange hack

and you'll be 2lbs lighter the very next day!
This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. Call center software solutions in Nigeria

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Web Services

Hacker Rank all java and python problem solutions